General Services

  • BC-211: This is a 24 hour information and referral line that offers confidential services to callers throughout the Vancouver Lower Mainland. Callers can get information on resources ranging from housing / shelters to counselling and employment. The Redbook Online (a database of resources) can also be found on their website. The number to call is 2.1.1.
  • Youth Against Violence Line: A 24 hour confidential and anonymous resource for youth or service providers for help with bullying, dating violence, gangs, discrimination. To report an incident or related issue, please contact 1.800.680.4264
  • The Shelter and Street Helpline: A 24 hour confidential resource for people experiencing homelessness or street involvement. They offer information on shelter / housing, no - low cost food / goods, advocacy, street nurses, transition houses, treatment / recovery programs, medical and mental health services. The Shelter List is updated twice per day at around 11am and 7pm. You can call them to find available shelter beds and services in the Lower Mainland at 604.875.6381
  • The Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service A 24 hour multilingual resource for people seeking information or referrals for support groups (12 step and non-12 step), needle exchanges, recovery houses, programs, resources, drug effects, medicinal marijuana, quitting smoking and more. If you are in the Lower Mainland call 604.660.9382 elsewhere in BC call 1.800.663.1441 An intake counsellor will be able to make a referral for you over the phone.
  • Healthlink BC: You can call 8.1.1 or visit the website to get information on health, nutrition and related topics. This resource can help you to locate a clinic or specialized health service. As well you can speak to a Public Health Nurse about symptoms or concerns instantly (service is confidential, multi-lingual and available 24 hours a day).
  • Anti-Poverty Network / PovNet: "PovNet provides online tools that facilitate communication, community and access to information around poverty-related issues in British Columbia and Canada. [They] work to collect relevant news and resources of use to advocates, community workers, marginalized communities and the general public." This is an online resource that can be used for research and information gathering. This site also has an events calendar and links to help you apply for government services.
  • The Survival Manual: A compilation of services for anyone facing change, addiction, a crisis situation, homelessness, hunger or anything urban living throws your way.
  • The Gathering Place: Operated by the Vancouver School Board of Education, The Gathering Place offers educational programs in as flexible a format as possible to enable high school completion for Canadian citizen and landed immigrants. You may reach them at 604.665.2391
  • Directions: Offered at Family Services of Greater Vancouver, Directions serves homeless and at-risk youth primarily 18 years of age and under, although some support services are available to youth aged 18 – 24. You may reach them at 604.633.1472
  • Watari Youth, Family and Community Services: Provides counselling services for at-risk children, youth, their families and the community. The primary focus is on alcohol and drug related issues. You may reach them at 604.254.6995
  • Broadway Youth Resource Centre: An integrated one-stop centre that provides a wide range of social, health, education, employment and life skills services to homeless and at-risk youth between the ages of 12 and 24. You may reach them at 604.709.5720
  • Covenant House: Covenant House has three core services: Community Support Services, CSS, which provides street outreach and a daily, non-residential, drop-in program; a 54 bed, 24-hour crisis shelter; and Rights of Passage, ROP, a 6 - 24 months transitional living program. These core services are supported by several in-house programs (drug, alcohol and mental health counselling, life-skills training etc.) designed to provide each young person with a "one-stop shop" approach to leaving the streets and achieving independence. For further information, you may reach them at 604.685.7474

Employment Related

  • Ministry of Social Development: To apply for BC Employment Assistance (Income Assistance / Welfare) please visit the website.
  • Lower Mainland Employment Resources: The first step to getting into the majority of programs that can assist you with employment is getting a Case Manager. To find out about case management services in your neighbourhood, please visit the website and call for an appointment.There are places that specialize in working with youth as well as those that are geared toward people with different specialized needs. NOTE: To be eligible for case management you need to be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Refugee and be un-employed or under-employed (working less than 20 hours per week).
  • Career Zone: A drop-in resource centre for jobseekers ages 15 to 30. Youth are able to access a wide range of services that include case management, one-to-one employment counselling, referral to community programs and training, and job search related workshops. For further information, you may reach them at 604.605.4666

Job Search Sites

Career Exploration Quizzes/Tools

"Youth S.E.A.R.Ch. has provided me with a life coach that allowed me to develop and achieve my goals. Thanks!"